Friday 3 July 2009

This life, in this world, with this God Part II

Ok, so I feel compelled to expand on my last post, to address the question of why this life that is such a joy and a privilege, often looks and feels like the opposite.

Its a real question, and a legitimate one. We see the psalmists asking God 'How long O Lord?' 'Will you hide your face from me forever?' and 'Why are you downcast, O my soul?'. Not the questions of someone who is finding life to be a breeze. And these truly are acceptable questions, ones God wants us to ask of Him, albeit with a humility that accepts that God is bigger and wiser than us, and knows what's for the best.

So, when might we expect to face these questions? I suggest one or two may be:

  • At times of loss and grief.
  • When we experience injustice at the hands of others.
  • When things turn out differently for one person than another, despite the circumstances being similar in each case.
Why does a God who loves me allow me to struggle with the same illness, even though every night I BEG Him to help, heal and change me? Why do I still sin when His Spirit in me is able to change my heart so that I am more like Christ? Why does God heal some people miraculously of their illnesses, and others are left to die?

I don't know. It seems such a cop out to answer with the words of the writer of Deuteronomy 'The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things revealed belong to us and our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law'. But this is the infallible word of the same God who is bigger and wiser than me.

I have a friend who asks every morning 'Is the gospel good news for me today?'. The answer is obvious. In the face of suffering, pain, loss, and frustration with ourself and the world, we inevitably ask the question 'Where is God and what on earth is he up to?' But the answer to the former is always a resounding 'YES!!!'

We should be careful with our questions...asking of God what is going on should be done with a desire to serve him and submit to him, rather than a defiant heart that shakes its fist in his face when things are hard. This is the same God who sent His son to die for you, that you may have both an eternal blessing in life with Christ after death, as well as the countless blessings of a restored relationship with him in the present. God hasn't chosen to put the whole world right just yet, but we do see glimpses of what the world will be like when he does. He promises us a new creation, where 'He will wipe all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall their be any pain' - what an amaing hope for his people who experience grief and trials now, but trust in the cross of Christ as the guarantee of their future.

We can, and must find joy from reminding ourselves that our God knows what he is doing. He does love us, as demonstrated by the sacrifice of his perfect son for the sins of the people at the hands of whom he was killed. That even while I was (and am) still sinning, Jesus has died for me. And being raised to life and seated with God above, I too, through faith in him, am already seated with Christ on high and will be raised to eternal life after I die.

God asks us to trust him. 'Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and don't lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight'. So lets be honest with one another when we don't understand what is happening to us and how it can possibly be under the control of a powerful and loving God, but lets also remind each other of the cross, a place of compelling, unchangeable comfort and a stern reminder of God's gracious love, glorious salvation, and awesome power.

Keep rejoicing!

Rachel.

0 comments:

Post a Comment